Saturday, January 10, 2015

Basic things one has to know about UPLB

Are you an aspiring UP student? Two years ago, I was an aspiring UP student. Since I was in high school, I had been eyeing to qualify in the University of the Philippines (UP) so I could fulfill my dream of studying there. Renowned because of the excellent quality education it upholds, UP is a premier state university in the Philippines. Every year, thousands of Filipino and non-Filipino high school students take the University of the Philippines College Admission Test (UPCAT) and only not more than 15% of them qualify. And so, I was fortunate enough to have met its standard.

Specifically, I got admitted in the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) in Laguna. Among the seven UP campuses, UPLB is best recognized in its agricultural, forestry, and environment management courses. Historically, it was once called UPCA – University of the Philippines College of Agriculture. Moreover, it is well-known in its green surroundings. Unlike the other prominent universities that are situated around the noisy streets of Metro Manila, UPLB is located beside Mt. Makiling of the peaceful province of Laguna where the air you breathe is clean and fresh.


This is the busy street before the gate of UPLB. I was surprised to see countless stores from school supply, grocery, boutique, to hardware and some popular fast food chains within this area considering that Los Baños is far from Calamba City, a more civilized city of Laguna. There are McDonalds, Jollibee, KFC, and Goldilocks which are just walking distance from the gate. Also, there are tea shops like the Bon Appetea, Milk Tea, and Infinitea, and restaurants where my friends and I normally hold meetings. There is also the Elbi Square where my barkada could unwind with the presence of beer and cocktail drinks.


UP gate. This is the first attraction upon entering UPLB. As you can see, the numerous gigantic trees depicting the green environment of UPLB set a mood of tranquility. If you were a type of person who would enjoy studying with serenity as your environment, then I would suggest UPLB as your best choice.
                
Due to its geographical size, UPLB is considered to be the biggest university in the Philippines. Jeepneys are made available as medium of transportation around the campus for students, teachers, and visitors.


Next is the Kwek-kwek tower. When I first saw this tower, I was mystified about its symbolism. I did imagine the top of it to be a kwek-kwek. Kwek-kwek is a renowned Filipino street food which is made of quail egg, flour and an orange food coloring. But after some research and interview with my colleagues, I learned that the one on top is a fire and the tower portrays a torch with fire on it, and it is formally called the UP College of Agriculture Academic Heritage Monument. 














No comments:

Post a Comment